PRE-RACE INFORMATION DAY 1
1. Le-Mans Start: Boat on the water’s edge. Paddlers stand next to boats or behind line as per starter’s orders.
2. Compulsory Portages: Brakriver Weir(Left),Prospect Bridge(Left)& Katkop Weir (Right).
3. Double Trouble Chute: In single file, ± 15m spacing. Top chute favour right, 2nd chute in centre. Thereafter sharp right rudder to avoid river bank. Alternatively, PORTAGE RIGHT ONLY
4. Toastrack, Keith’s Flyover & Saltpan’s Rapid – recommended for experienced paddlers only.
5. Toastrack – low clearance under bridge, DUCK FROM THE WAIST. Shoot below markers as indicated by Lifesavers or portage right. Helmets are strongly recommended, especially for novices.
6. Danger Areas: Weirs, Willows, Bridges.
7. Saltpan’s Weir : Take the slide between the markers at full speed one boat at a time.
8. Saltpan’s Rapid: Shoot below marker on bridge then favour right down the rapid.
9. The FINISH is approximately 1km downstream of Knutsford Bridge, look out for the banners.
10. Withdrawals must report to Officials at Flyover, Prospect, Saltpan’s Bridge or at Finish.
11. Cut off time for Prospect Bridge is 13h30.
12. Cut off Time for Katkop is 15h00.
13. If you fall out in a rapid, particularly Keith’s or Saltpan’s, keep legs clear of the bottom to avoid foot entrapment.
14. The area downstream of any line of buoys is NO MAN’S LAND and will result in disqualification.
15. Portages are only allowed at official portages. Any portage to shorten the course will lead to disqualification.
16. RED FLAGS denote a NO-GO area – this may be for an emergency.
REPORT WITHDRAWALS 073 637 1211/ EMERGENCIES 063 1363 077
LIFESAVERS SAFE LIVES NOT CRAFTS
PRE-RACE INFORMATION DAY 2
1. Compulsory Portages: Marlow Causeway. (Right bank)
2. If you shoot Marlow Causeway YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. (The area behind the line of buoys is NOMAN’S
3. Danger Areas: Gauging Weir, Marlow Causeway, Marlow Chute and Cradock Weir.
4. Baroda Chute: NEW – Shoot through the middle. The chute is wide enough for multiple boats to shoot. Optional portage on the Right bank.
5. Gauging Weir: Shoot left, 1m from first pillar or in line with willow tree, very slowly at 90° to weir wall to save canoe’s nose.
6. Marlow Chute: Portage left otherwise approach chute on Right bank. REMAIN IN QUEUE AND NO OVERTAKING.
7. Portages are only allowed at official portages. Any portage to shorten the course will lead to disqualification.
8. Cradock Weir: ONLY FIRST 50 boats may go over wherever they choose, thereafter shoot on RIGHT SIDE ONLY. On final approach to shoot Cradock Weir you must go in single file and adhere to lifesavers’ instructions. Queue – right hand bank to shoot weir. Portage left bank.
9. Any boat landing on another boat at Cradock Weir WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. If you jump the queue: 30 min penalty.
10. RED FLAGS denote a NO-GO area – this may be for an emergency.
11. REPORT WITHDRAWALS 073 637 1211/ EMERGENCIES 063 1363 077